My Baby Choked

Yesterday at dinner time, one of our worst fears as mothers became a reality, our beautiful little boy started choking.

It was a normal evening. It has been so hot this last week I decided to make a light soup for tea. Whilst I was dishing up we decided to give M a little bit of soup dunked bread to keep him occupied. It wasn’t a large piece, to be honest he’s had bigger pieces but this time it went down the wrong way.

 My Baby Choked - mytwomums.com

I sat down ready to feed him and noticed he was very still, he then started gagging and trying to bring it up on his own. I thought for a split second that he’d managed it but it went back down again, the wrong way!

I went into a combination of panic mode and mummy mode. I yanked him out of his chair and held him upside down and slapped him hard on the back. I saw a piece come out so I turned him back up the other way.

He was still choking!

At this point panic mode really kicked in as M had grabbed hold of my t-shirt in a blind panic to catch his breath, stopping me from turning him upside down.

I keep hearing my voice in my head as I looked up at K and screamed “BABE!”. She asked if we needed an ambulance (which I wasn’t taking in). I felt like the room was closing in on us. I had my child in my arms, helpless and unable to breathe and I had to get it out.

I wasn’t going to let my baby die.

I yanked his arm from my top, twisted him around and whacked the heal of my hand across his back. Then I saw it, that horrible piece of bread had landed on the kitchen floor.

Then my baby started to sob. He was still in a panic. The tears streamed down his face and he was struggling to catch his breath. I held him close, I was unable to move my arms from around him. Poor K asked me if she could have a cuddle but I just couldn’t let him go. Now I think back, that must have been so hard for her.

He clearly had a sore throat so we fetched him some water. We then had a big family cuddle whilst we took in what had just happened.

I started worrying that I hit M too hard so we decided to check him over before we called for advice. He seemed fine so we trusted our instincts. We tried to continue as normal and after a while we were able to feed him some soup. I sat him on my lap as he seemed quite frightened of the high chair.

At first he refused to eat, which is completely understandable. However once I started eating he wanted to help me finish my bowl. When he had his fill, I set him down to play with his toys. I then looked at Kirsty and said –

“Thank goodness I took that baby first aid class!”

I genuinely think this is what saved my sons life. That and our Tripp Trapp. As he’s in the baby set we don’t have to use a harness. There was no need to faf around getting him out.

If you haven’t taken a first aid course, please, please, please go and do it! I can’t stress this enough. I took mine at my local Children Centre. Go down to yours at your earliest convenience and ask when they are next running a course. I didn’t think it would happen to us, but it did. These things are completely out of our control but we have the resources available to us so we can do something about it.

I’d just like to say thank you for the support and well wishes on twitter from our fellow bloggers, it has been quite overwhelming! We feel so honoured to be apart of this wonderful community. Blogging is not just about the words we write but about the friends we make along the way.

*Please don’t accept what I did as the official way to respond. We fully support your local Official First Aid course.

 

This Post Has 13 Comments

  1. Kim Carberry Reply

    Oh my!! How scary….It’s happened to us before and it is terrifying! So glad he’s ok!! I think at times like that knowing basic first aid is a must….Glad everyone is ok now x

  2. Claire @ Great British Family Reply

    This sounds so scary. I’m glad M is ok. We did a basic first aid course as part of my postnatal group. So useful but I still worry that I will not remember what to do in an emergency.

  3. Elaine Croft Reply

    Its soo scary isnt it! Im so glad I did nursing at uni, or I would be booking myself onto a course straight away. Glad little one is ok now xxx

  4. Notmyyearoff Reply

    Thats so so scary but so good you knew what to do. Very glad he’s ok now though and hope you never find the need to ever have to use first aid again x

  5. Mum2BabyInsomniac Reply

    Oh my gosh how scary, I am so scared of this, we’ve had a couple of scary moments but no full chokes. I’ve done a St Johns first aid course but I’m scared that I’ve forgotten it all. So glad he’s okay xx

  6. Hannah Ruth Reply

    Thank goodness he is ok. What a traumatic experience for you. Thanks to the NHS I got a bit of baby first aid education at a ‘building blocks’ group I attended when V was tiny. I agree that a bit of first aid education is something all parents should have. I’d like to have more.
    Hannah x

  7. Sarah MumofThree World Reply

    Thank you so much for sharing this story, it’s so important for people to know how easily this sort of thing could happen. You write so movingly, I really felt what you were going through. Thank goodness for the first aid course.

  8. Theresa Reply

    After reading this, am definitely going to book a first aid course, am 23 weeks pregnant and booking a first aid class has crossed my mind before but never got round to booking one, will be booking mine ASAP after reading this. Am so glad M is okay.

  9. Mrs Teepot Reply

    I can’t imagine how terrifying that must have been. Well done you for reacting and taking that class in the first place!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.